24 March 2020

Coronacation (Part One)

The following is a diary of sorts
 chronicling the beginnings of the
 COVID-19 pandemic (as I experienced it).
The captions included here are Facebook and 
Instagram messages for friends and family.


12 March 2020

Everything is strange and kinda dark right now 
in light of current events but for the moment school
 is still in session. Until told otherwise, I’m open for 
business and bringing the color, light, magic and 
creativity every damn day. Here’s wishing all of 
you, wherever you are or wherever you work, 
all the same and more. Stay safe, 
stay well and stay illuminated.




I just ran into three of my coworkers 
and none of us know if our workplace will be 
open tomorrow. Everything is super weird but 
Debbie Harry (shot by Stephen Shore) 
makes everything better



13 March 2020

This was my view on a very empty Mt. Kemble Road as I 

drove to worktoday. The streets are deserted and the steady 
rain is giving everything a very ghostly feel. Until told
 otherwise, my fellow teachers and I are going to work 
and holding down the fort for all of the students that show
 up. This is uncharted, unprecedented territory for all of us
 regardless of age, race or profession. Stay safe and be well, 
friends. Much love to all of you and all of your families.


We’re Out (For Now) #coronacation


14 March 2020

Good morning, friends. It’s a beautiful day 
here and the approaching springtime is 
coloring the trees with buds. Remember, 
life continues to blossom and grow at ALL 
times in spite of what we call “these times”. 
That said, at these times, just remember that 
you already have enough of everything needed 
to move forward, to persevere and to 
flourish. If you’re out and about today 
please be patient with others who are feeling 
distressed. Also, today would be a good 
day to check on loved ones or far away 
friends you haven’t spoken to in a while. It’s 
amazing how much light a little extra kindness 
can generate... not only for others but 
also for yourself. Stay safe.




Is matzoh ball soup the corona vaccine?



Social Distancing Cloud


Safe And Sound • Wishing You The Same


15 March 2020



POSITIVITY POST:
Music has informed and enriched my

life greatly for my entire existence. It has not only

 provided a soundtrack for my life but also a context, a 
cultural ballast and a sense of identity and belonging. 
Music has helped me locate myself within different 
communities of likeminded music lovers and in 
those, I’ve made many friendships, have had opportunities 
to share great artists with my loved ones and have been 
afforded the privilege of witnessing countless live 
displays of breathtaking artistry up close. In strange 
and difficult times when we are physically distant from one 
another, where events are being canceled and venues 
are being shuttered, music is most definitely STILL 
my friend. It’s a force for good in the world. It’s how we 
hear others communicate through the magic of song 
and creates an immaterial, intangible sound space 
where we can lose (and even sometimes find) ourselves. 
Friends, in these days of uncertainty, I encourage you 
ALL to make playlists, pull out your favorite vinyls and 
CDs, see if your cassette or 8 track player still works, 
pick up your guitar or bongos again or sit down at the 
piano. If you can’t make music, take a break from all the 
insanity of the world and turn some music on. Discover 
that new artist you’ve been meaning to listen to. Look 
for live YouTube footage from one of your favorite artists 
or a concert you attended. If you’re lucky and have a 
sharp eye, you JUST might discover that you were indeed 
captured in the audience (as I have a few times). 
As always, be safe and stay illuminated.



Social distancing





Dunkin' - No seating


Washing crystals and rocks



19 March 2020


ECHOES OF THE TIME BEFORE: This is the first page of the 

sketchbook I keep at work for students to look through. In it, I often 
draw on top of collages of glued down classroom or work-related 
notes. At the very start of the school year, my friend and colleague 
Joe B. left a note on my desk which said “Have an amazing year 
my friend! - Joe” and in appreciation I decided to work 
with it on the first page of the book. I felt it would usher in 
the fresh era of a new school year with good vibes. You can see 
the note here beneath my colored pencil rendering of an abstract 
cardboard sculpture that I’d assigned students to create. 
Looking at it now, I’ll admit I’m a bit melancholy, but my resolve to 
push forward is strong. Neither Joe nor I nor ANY of us could’ve 
known what was to come this school year with the social distancing
 and professional disconnect created by COVID-19. Like many of my 
esteemed colleagues who care about what they do, Joe and I are 
among MILLIONS of educators working to serve our students and 
school communities as best we can during the corona virus. Many 
of us are navigating digital interfaces to stay connected with staff and 
students so we can continue to foster enrichment, positivity and learning. 
I also believe many of us are doing so to preserve our individual and
 collective sanity. To all of my colleagues... THANK YOU and I’m 
with you in this. We WILL succeed. To all of my alumni in college, 
I’m sorry that your school year was cut short. WE WILL ALL 
GET THROUGH THIS. Not only that, we will emerge 
stronger and with more wisdom. Much love to you all. 
Be good to yourselves and others and stay safe!



Sketchbook:
Let's light up the darkness today.


Escape Scape • Don’t Forget To Breathe




APPRECIATION POST: 

Sometimes you meet the nicest 

people at the darkest times. Yesterday I went to the 

supermarket to gather some necessities. As I approached 

the registers I was met with stanchions across the front of the 

store and armed security guards. One smiled and said hello
 as I waited for him to direct me to a register and I asked him 
if everyone was behaving. He nodded and said yes, all was 
calm and then politely pointed me in the direction of register 10. 
As I loaded my items onto the conveyor belt, a very petite, elderly 
nun dressed immaculately in the customary nun’s habit got online 
behind me, her hands in plastic gloves. We looked at one another 
knowingly, having surveyed the dark peculiarity of the scene and I 
asked her if she was doing okay. She very sweetly noted the disquieting 
tone of the world as well as the panic of others. We had a nice 
conversation about our mutual concerns and yes, some fears about 
the days ahead. I said “Sister, we will get through this if we take 
care of ourselves and each other.” She agreed and as I was about 
to leave the store said, “I’d like to pray for you. What’s your name?” 
I told her my name was Christian and she smiled broadly, saying
 “That’s a beautiful name.” She told me her name was Sister Maria 
and I said “Sister Maria, I’ll pray for you too. I was very sad when I 
came in here but you brightened my day greatly. Thank you! I’d like
 to give you a hug but I don’t think that’s appropriate now.” Sister 
Maria laughed, tipped her head in the direction of the armed guards 
and said “You’d probably get arrested if you tried!” We said 
goodbye laughing and I left the store with a smile on my face. 
Thank you, Sister Maria. Thank you also to all who are  
doing their best to make sure that we are ALL safe.




Sketchbook: Another Classroom 
View From The Time Before

This is another recent page from the sketchbook 
I keep at school for my students to look at. 
It shows another abstract cardboard sculpture 
that I assigned students to build and then draw and paint. 
As I look at my ink and colored pencil rendering of the 
construction and the interior of my classroom 
(including my desk, shelves and some tabletop items) 
I can’t help but wonder if and when my students and I 
will see one another again this year. Do my 2020 classroom 
sketches serve as a parting glance to a school year interrupted? 
Who knows? Again, big shout out to my colleagues who are
 trying to figure out how to digitally navigate this unexpected 
coronavirus curveball. Much love and understanding to all friends, 
family, students and alumni whose plans and lives have been 
interrupted by Covid19. If art class needs to be fully digital for 
the next few months, trust me... I WILL find a way to make
 that happen with a combination of technology, ingenuity and 
the supplies I have at home. As always, much love to all. 



Sketchbook: This colored pencil 
and soft pastel drawing is sketched atop a
 collage of classroom notes.

A friend and I were supposed to see 
Noah Reid (AKA Patrick Brewer from Schitt’s Creek) 
in concert in Brooklyn this week but Covid-19 has 
understandably delayed that. He’s a great 
singer / songwriter / actor and I hope to get the 
chance to give him a drawing in person 
when his tour starts again. 


Sketchbook Study: Lakeside Dock 

Here’s a recent sketch of a lake I visited one chilly 
morning shortly before all of this craziness began. 
Remember that you can practice social distancing but still 
remain connected to the people you love. While many of us are 
tending to personal needs and projects or trying to navigate 
uncertain professional waters, some of us are using this time of 
physical separation to text, video chat or call people we may 
not have spoken to in a long time. I myself have enjoyed having 
daily Facebook Live chats with family and friends and I’m always
pleased to see who pops in. It certainly seems to have lightened
 the general mood for myself and others and has allowed some
 of us to share insights and important information. As always, 
much love to all. I’ll continue to share more sketchbook
 pages as this strange coronavirus era unfolds. 



Social Distancing With Annie Lennox. 
Who Are YOU Social Distancing With?


19 March 1990 • 30 Years Ago Today 

Violator By Depeche Mode Was 
Released And Nothing Was Ever The Same 

 30 years ago, for some of us, the initials “DM” 
meant something significant. The phrase “direct message” 
didn’t exist. This was a time before before social media, 
streaming, trending, hashtags, likes, retweets, reposts, 
reblogs, bots, clapbacks, doxxing and traction. Clout was 
something you earned by creating, not by the number of 
people who lazily double tapped a photo you posted. If ever 
there was a band who had earned their clout with a steady
 climb throughout the 80s and 90s it was this one: Depeche 
Mode. When I first heard Violator on its day of release, I was 
alone in my teenage bedroom (as many of us were). It had 
been nearly three years since DM had released a new LP and I 
was hungry for more. The fast and furious amuse bouche provided 
by the lead single Personal Jesus (released on 7” & 12” the 
previous fall) was a guitar heavy stomp that exploded into 
public consciousness as a surprise megahit. Its universal appeal 
and popularity shocked fans and even the band members 
themselves. To this day, it’s STILL the highest selling Warner Bros. 
12” single (even outselling Vogue by Madonna). In cueing up 
Violator for a first listen (with my grandfather hanging striped 
wallpaper in the upstairs hallway just outside my bedroom door) 
I had no idea what to expect from the 9 songs included 
therein. Needless to say I was NOT disappointed. I won’t describe 
the songs. If you know them, you already know. If you don’t, 
do yourself a favor and give this album a spin. That June, 
friends and I (and seemingly the ENTIRE New York / New Jersey 
area) descended upon a packed Giants Stadium to see DM, 
The Jesus And Mary Chain and Nitzer Ebb on what was called 
The World Violation Tour. Bono from U2 was in the lighting booth
 behind us. We sang U2’s “40” to him and well, he wasn’t thrilled.
 He nodded at us with a withering smirk and was spirited away 
by security. FUN FACT: Bono was introduced to Flood at that 
show... the producer who would later shape the sound of 
U2’s epochal Achtung Baby LP. Thanks, Depeche Mode...
For everything. Then, now and always.



Sketchbook studies in progress



21 March 2020

Still Life • 5:05 PM Saturday




A huge and hearty thanks to ALL who 
have joined my Facebook Live Chats. 
I’ve enjoyed checking in with you from my 
living room with absolutely #nofilter and hopefully 
I’ve spread some joy during a crazy time for all of us.



23 March 2020

Sketchbook: A Long Walk 

Good Morning, Friends. Today my corner of the world 
is being visited with rain, snowflakes and sleet... a great 
deal of difference from the surprise 70 degrees I 
experienced when I photographed (and later sketched) 
this scene on my birthday earlier this year (January 12th).
 I’m sharing it to bring everyone a little extra light and warmth,
 two things which I believe are needed given the current 
circumstances we are all coping with. As always, I hope all 
of you are well, safe and connected to those you love. 
WE WILL ALL BE TOGETHER IN THE SUN AGAIN. 



Sketchbook: Another View • Room B-135 

This is yet another drawing I did of a student’s cardboard 
sculpture on a table in my classroom. I’m glad I documented 
pieces of the school year with drawings and I have to admit 
that each seems to hold bittersweet sentimentality for me now. 
Today I attended virtual faculty and department meetings where 
all participants worked with administration to discuss, plan and share 
ideas about the most constructive ways to serve our students going
 forward. We don’t have a date of return yet but we are sharpening our
 skills, creativity and powers of communication to teach, guide, 
assess, support and interact with each and every student. If you 
know me at all, you know that my life as an art educator has meant a 
great deal to me. I’ve had the privilegeof sharing art with high school 
students for the past 20 years. In that time, I’ve watched the world 
through two sets of eyes: mine and those of an entire generation 
that has passed through my classroom door. I’ve watched these 
“kids” evolve into adults carrying myriad identities into myriad 
life paths. That said, for the last couple of years I’ve heard the 
word “influencer” described by many kids as a desirable social 
status. I agree that being an “influencer” is great if one has something
 of value to share. Perhaps after the events around Covid-19 have
 played themselves out, the younger generation (and world in
 general) will use the word differently. Some of us have been
 influencers all along without seeking the temporal and fickle
 immateriality of followers, likes, traction and being on trend. I am 
speaking, of course, of my fellow educators. Never before have I been 
more proud to be a teacher than I have since watching my colleagues
 near and far snap into action in the wake of the coronavirus. 
Kids, parents... Don’t worry. We got this and whether in person or 
not, we are STILL present and available. Thank you for your 
support and understanding. Thank you to MY teachers as well for
 being the best influencers I could’ve asked for. 
I’m doing my best to pay it forward in a strange new world. 



I hope all of you are safe and well. Cheers, CDM.