10 June 2020

Coronacation (Part Six)


No Swimming... But Plenty Of Sky








This year, Pride Month is going to look different. 
There won’t be any parades. We won’t be gathering in 
the streets to celebrate, greet, hug, kiss and talk to one 
another and our allies as we have in the past. We won’t be 
dancing and singing at concerts. We won’t be festooned 
in feathers, capes and costumes or filling the streets with 
multicolor flags, floats, lights, confetti and balloons. 
In a time of global crisis and the manifold conflicts 
which have arisen since (especially in the last week) 
public assembly carries a much different tone. 
What remains in the face of this is the following: our 
identities and our power to remain visible, proud and
 aware... not only of our rights but the rights of others. 
In a world of chaos, panic, fear, separation and hate, our 
resilience, audacity, visibility, shapes, sizes, colors, faces,
 identities, stories, talents, voices and cultural contributions
 are more valuable than ever. In the temporary absence of 
public spectacles, pride still matters. We still matter. 
You still matter. I decided to kick off my own celebration of 
Gay Pride Month with a photo of myself at THIS moment. 
No flags. No filters. In the absence of all celebratory 
gatherings and attendant accessories, I still remain. 
I’m here. I’m alive and well. I’m grateful to be healthy, 
happy and free. The core truths and values that shape
 me remain without artifice. I would like to remind all of 
my LGBT friends to continue walk tall, share the love in 
your heart with others and NEVER let anyone steal 
your light. WE WILL ALL DANCE TOGETHER AGAIN 
SOMEDAY. When that day comes, I will be dancing with
 you. Much love to my LGBT brothers and sisters 
(and all of our allies). Stay illuminated.















Noah Reid's new LP Gemini... give it a listen.


I enjoyed revisiting Slaves Of New York.


Lady Gaga's Chromatica is a wall to wall disco trip.



Quiet But Not Silent • Horrified and disgusted by 
racism, murder, violence and repeated lessons 
unlearned by some (especially at a time when we
 should ALL be working together). I’m looking for
 guidance and answers too. This is unacceptable. 
We need to move forward.




Quarantine Hair. I ain't mad at the silver. 




Happy Birthday Siouxsie!



Christo Vladimirov Javacheff 
Also Known As Christo (1935 - 2020) 
Installation artist of monumental proportions. 
Thank you for your gigantic dreams. Rest In Peace.





Unboxing Video: Crayola Drawing Set (1977)






Janelle Monae photographed 
by Collier Schorr via Zoom







New Project: Manifestation Conversations

Videos 1, 2 and 3 with Erin, Laura
and Suzanne are on my YouTube page now.
Thanks to all for their participation in this
ongoing series of enlightening conversations.



Happy Birthday Prince! 


Pride Is Alive In All Colors 

Over the past week I’ve had some engaging, enlightening, 
productive and (at times) heartbreaking conversations with my
 high school art students about the all too present fight for 
equality and empowerment in a culture of systemic 
bigotry, racism and violence. Posting a black square on
 Blackout Tuesday was a gesture of solidarity but would
 have been empty if I didn’t create a platform for my students
 to express how the murder of George Floyd, the ensuing
 protests and widespread riots are affecting them. Our
 school community was also directly affected by this. Last
 week, a series of racist slurs were leveled at one of my 
students by a group of school mates during an Instagram
 Live chat in which she was speaking her mind about the 
George Floyd murder. Upon learning of this through screenshots
 and archived videos which were sent to me by infuriated 
staff and alumni, I reached out to her and we had a brief 
conversation in which I told her that while those individuals 
did hurt her, they also blew themselves up by exposing themselves
 for who they are with ignorance and hateful words. 
She thanked me for this and said she was grateful for the
 support of a school and local community that sprung 
to action to come to her aid and arrive at consequences for
 those who participated in the incident. While I’m continuing
 to monitor all aspects of the situation, I’m still very upset 
that this young lady was attacked in this way. Ignorance, 
privilege and keyboard courage are a toxic mixture. We’ve 
seen it on a global scale and now it’s present in a very 
explicit way in my school community. My colleagues, our 
administration and all of the students I spoke to are not 
having it. I’m not having it. As I mentioned earlier, Pride Month
 is different this year. I’m asking all of my LGBT friends and 
allies to PLEASE continue to operate in solidarity with all 
anti-racist movements. Within the current time and space
 of change and transformation, we all have an opportunity 
to lift one another up and hold space for one another’s truths. 


Parsons Graduation 1995 • 25 Years Ago 

Celebrating the successful completion of a cycle with my 
parents and beloved grandparents (who are very much missed).
 My mortar board said “Groovy” in masking tape. Later on I was 
a popping a bottle and sipping Dom Perignon with my Dad. 
22 years old with a newly minted diploma and some dreams 
but no fixed idea of what lay ahead. I think it’s fair to say it all 
worked out. Much love to all alumni who are graduating college 
and grad school in strange global circumstances this year. 
You are entering a world that is experiencing tremendous
 growing pains in its ongoing transformation. With your individual 
gifts, talents and energies you can be a part of its continued 
elevation. I have tremendous faith in a great generation that is 
creating itself in this chaos and as always, I’ve got your back.




Meanwhile, back in the present moment...





Amphitheater - Empty Theater






Unfiltered above and filtered below...



Peace is possible. 
Rebirth is possible.
All things are possible.