26 May 2023

May All Things Be Bright


Here we go. It's all happening. 
Spring has given us buds and blooms.
Leaves and grass and longer days emerge.
I'm playing catch-up here as I've been busy.


Harold George Bellanfanti Junior
AKA Harry Belafonte (1927 - 2023)
Singer. Actor. Activist… Godspeed, Sir.







I’m very honored that my friend Tara allowed her adorably sweet daughters to spend Take Our Kids To Work Day in my classroom. They are so much fun to be with and my students are really enjoying their presence. It was a joy to work with the children of many of my other colleagues as well.




50th Spring


Happy 74th Birthday To The OG.



FOUND: The elusive ceramic tiger from The Price Is Right (or was it Wheel Of Fortune?) that people were enticed to buy with the remainder of their winnings after they’d spent them on the Sanyo stereo rack system, the Evinrude two-seater speedboat and the Amana convection oven. All other contestants will be taking home a consolation prize of a year’s supply of Pearl Drops Toothpaste and two bottles of Jean Naté After Bath Splash. Promotional consideration has been provided by Velamints, L’eggs Pantyhose and Sergio Valente Jeans.









Many thanks to my cousins Ashley & James for these very cool retro style wind up toys. Not only do you always get my aesthetic, you also provided me with even more colorful ephemera and still life material for my classroom. Hugs to you both and Baby Amara.




First photo with iPhone 14 Pro Max




Park life and Pennsylvania markets...









TRIGGER WARNING: Flea Market Failure.
My friend Steveand I attempted to hit up a couple of flea markets today however Routes 33 and 22 in PA had other ideas. Also, neither one of us is eating matzoh ball soup. To quote Steve: “Pennsylvania is broken today.” Please respect our privacy in these difficult and unprecedented times. Thank you.





Recent Score: Ideal Station (1950s)
Friends, I’ve lived a rather blessed life however something has always been lacking. Perhaps upon meeting me you saw the hollowness and haunted sense of unfulfillment in my eyes. There was always an emptiness in me that I couldn’t quite put my finger on yet there it echoed like a yawning chasm in my soul. Search as I might for the answers to what would complete me, I could never locate the proper channel or object of total fulfillment… until now. How… I ask you… HOW did I live 50 YEARS without my OWN personal auto laundry and lubritorium? I mean, I would see the auto laundries and lubritoriums of my loved ones and think “Okay, those are nice but I know that level of luxury isn’t available to me. I’m unworthy. It’s above me. I could never aspire to that level of opulence.” Today all of that changed FOREVER. The path to pure prosperity opened up before me as if it were carved by the gods to direct me to its very altar. Thank you to everyone who encouraged me and guided me toward the acquisition of such a major symbol of wealth, status and security. In addition, I promise to remain humble, grateful and generous. I will lend out the services of my auto laundry and welcome all to my lubritorium as needed because I believe in sharing my strength. To those of you out there who don’t believe that dreams come true, let my life be a lesson that they surely do. Thank you for coming to my TEDTalk.




Happy Mother’s Day!

We sit on the deck because Chancey likes it out here. She eats and has walks before, during and after our meals. If Dad doesn’t invite Chancey onto his lap the exact moment he is done eating there will be hell to pay. Chancey owns my parents. Thank you for coming to my TEDTalk.














Jessie Ware - That! Feels Good! (2023)
Ms. Ware has once again delivered a unique melange of disco, R&B and pop that calls to mind Sergio Mendes & Brasil 66 with a splash of Silver Convention, a spoonful of The Supremes, a blip of Daft Punk and a tweak of Basement Jaxx. As a bonus, when this package arrived from the UK today I discovered that it contained not one but two pieces of autographed swag. I can’t wait to FINALLY see her live for the first time this coming October.


Alison Goldfrapp • The Love Invention (2023)
My admiration for Alison Goldfrapp’s artistry grows with every album she creates. The Love Invention is a bridge between worlds previously explored by the band she’s been in with Will Young since the late 1990s. Though it may be confusing to some, that band is simply called Goldfrapp. Alison is using her first name on this release to announce a solo effort with different collaborators. The vaporwave sheen of Goldfrapp’s Head First era meets the electronic snap crackle pop of the Supernature and Silver Eye eras here. Alison and Co. manage to weave these aesthetics together into a fresh, unique blend that carries Alison’s distinctive energetic signature in every note and breath but doesn’t feel repetitious. She’s also a great live performer so if you have a chance to see her in concert, please do. Never stop, Alison. Never stop.


Debbie Harry • KooKoo (1981 / 2023)
The 2023 limited edition clear double vinyl remaster of the 1981 album with a lenticular sleeve. May 22nd is World Goth Day and even though Debbie Harry couldn’t be categorized as a Goth per se, the visual collaboration that she and artist / production designer H.R. Giger undertook for the KooKoo project has a decidedly Gothic (if not futuristic) feel. Perhaps this stylistic subset could have been called FuturoGoth. It’s interesting to note that while Debbie has always been a New York City based artist, over in the UK, the first stylistic vestiges of what became “the Goth look” were happening contemporaneous with this new visual thrust for Ms. Harry. As for the album, well… Let’s just say that between this re-release and the stunning Chris Stein book of photographs from this collaborative era, it’s great to see KooKoo (a barrier-smashing collaboration with Stein, Nile Rodgers and Bernard Edwards from Chic) FINALLY getting the respect it always deserved. The jam is indeed moving once again.


Rest In Power
Anna Mae Bullock AKA Tina Turner
26 November 1939 - 24 May 2023


Another Underclassmen Art Show is prepped and installed...





And once installed it looked like this...










Alumni Moment: Thanks for the visit Raechel! 


My colleague Steve C. and I get ready to install the Senior Art Show
 with the students and the other four members of the Art Department. 


It looked like this...





















The opening reception was a great deal of fun.
This was one of my favorite Senior Show nights ever. 


Thank you to EVERYONE who helped make the Senior Art Show 2023 so special with their presence. It was wonderful to see ALL of you. Whadda ya say… Same time next year?



That's a wrap!