30 January 2020

Drawings, Dust And Daybreaks






ME: Okay, guys. Listen up. 
I need your attention. 

STUDENT: OMG! Are you retiring?




Saturday Sounds: 
Peggy Lee (1960) Suede (2010) 
Henry Mancini (1959) Foals (2019)


SENTIMENTAL POST ALERT: 
Before I was an adult artist, before I was an art teacher, 
before I went to art school, before I went to high school,
 I was a young artist taking Saturday and Summer classes 
art ART•LAB in Staten Island. While there, my drawing and 
painting teacher Jean gave me this box of Grumbacher 
soft pastels. The box and some of its contents are older than
 I am. Many of the pastels inside were replenished (some are 
Rembrandt) over the years and I’ve had many other sets since, 
but I haven’t touched this set in over 25 years... at least not 
until very recently. At age 12 and 13, I would take this box to 
the pond or pagoda on the ART•LAB grounds at Sailors Snug 
Harbor and draw my surroundings for hours. It made me blissfully 
happy. With pastel in hand and my eyes on nature and structures,
 nothing could haunt me, disturb me or touch me except the errant
 clouds of colorful dust that I kicked up as I worked. I’ve been 
thinking that it’s time to revisit, reimagine and reinterpret some 
of my landscape and cityscape photos in soft pastel. No overarching 
concept or codified message... just colorful renderings of places 
and spaces I’ve interacted with. There are a few other things I’m 
working on now, but this dusty old box and the simplicity of 
drawing for the sake of drawing has seduced me. Who knows? 
Jean could be quietly nudging my hand from across the 
space / time continuum. If so, Jean, thank you for the continued 
guidance... and thanks for the set you gave me 35 years ago. 
You were a beautiful influence on me in every way and 
I hope I’ve made you proud. Love, CDM











Sketchbook: 
Pastel portrait studies in layers






More in-progress sketches...



More layers...















I was today years old when a student informed me that 
Ikea meatballs are made of people that got lost in the store.


Friends + Rainy Day + Matzoh Ball Soup = Perfection


ME: Do any of you guys 
watch Downton Abbey? 

STUDENT: No. We’re not 50. 

ME: Come find me when you’re 
almost 50 and we’ll see how you look. 

STUDENT: Why? You’ll be dead then.











The Big Blue Marble • LP & Pinback (1974)
Long before The Science Channel, before NYC had cable 
TV, before blogs, YouTube, Instagram, Facebook or Reddit,
 this PBS show was how I learned about science. 
The Big Blue Marble had demonstrations, filmed explorations, 
animation and memorable songs that lit up my imagination 
and taught me a great deal about our place in the universe. 
If you were a kid in the 1970s, you might have enjoyed it 
as well. Luckily for all of us, there are some nice pieces 
of footage from this very cool show on YouTube. Luckily 
for me, I recently scored this rare soundtrack LP and pinback
button on eBay. Remember: “Our differences, our problems 
from out there there's not much trace. Our friendships they
can place while looking at the face of the Big Blue Marble in space.”


It's not on its way. It has arrived.